North Men's Hockey Finalists at WLU Brantford

North Men's Hockey Finalists at WLU Brantford

Humber’s men’s hockey team traveled to Brantford on Friday, February 1st to participate in the OCR tournament hosted by WLU, Brantford.


In Humber’s first game against Centennial, the Hawks used their speed and stretch pass accuracy to put up 8 goals.  The only puck that got through Hawk’s starting goalie, Andrew Robb, was scored on the power play.  Humber’s player of the game was Lucas Del Plavignano.


In the second game, the Hawks faced the squad from Georgian, Orillia.  Humber took a 2-0 lead in the first period on goals by Shamus Barr and Sam Lepera, and never looked back.  The Hawks put 9 shots on net during a powerplay opportunity, but the Georgian goalie was rock solid.  Once Humber found the way to score again, they added 2 more tallies by Mitchell Harknett and Shawn Rooke. Although the Grizzlies were able to get 1 puck past Marcus Sorrentino in net, Humber won the game 4-1.  Hawk’s player of the game was Shamus Barr.


The quarter-final matchup featured the Hawks and the Seneca Sting.  The game remained scoreless until the 3 minute mark of the second period when Ryan Eccleston made a great pass to Del Plavingano, who found the back of the net.  Both teams traded powerplay opportunities where Rooke was able to score, but the Sting could not put a puck behind Robb.  The Hawks continued to increase their lead and won the game 3-0.  The player of the game was Andrew Robb with the shutout.


Mohawk, who finished second in their pool in round robin play, would end up being the Hawk’s semi-final opponent.  Being a back to back game with the quarter-final, the Hawks started off slow, and took an early penalty.  After 5 shots on their powerplay, Mohawk was unable to catch Robb off his game.  Humber was assessed 2 straight penalties and had partial breakaways on each, one by Barr and the other by Del Plavignano – neither scored.  Humber finally broke the scoreless tie at the 6 minute mark of the 3rd period when Jonathan Plourde was able to sneak the puck by the Mohawk goalie.  Harknett was able to score an insurance goal with 42 seconds left in the game to put the Hawks up 2-0.  For the second straight game, Andrew Robb put up a shutout and was named the player of the game.


The tournament format set up for a Humber-Humber final, featuring the North and Lakeshore teams.  In their third game in a row, and their 5th game of the day, the North team was showing signs of fatigue.  The Lakeshore squad was able to take the first lead of the day over the team from the North, and followed that up with 4 more goals.  Barr was able to score the North’s only goal to break the Lakeshore shutout with 25 seconds left in the game.  North’s player of the game was Shamus Barr.


The men’s hockey team is in action again on Friday, February 15th in Lindsay, Ontario.